How to Dispose of Waste Cooking Oil Legally

You must not pour waste oil down a sink or drain

Doing so will can cause blockages in drains and sewers.  Waste cooking oils & fats allowed to enter the watercourse will combine with calcium in the sewers and cause fatbergs. Your local water authority may be able to trace where the oil has come from and you may get a fine. Fatbergs cost the UK around £100 million per annum to clear. 

You must comply with Duty of Care legislation

It is your duty of care to ensure that:

  • Your waste is stored correctly (it must be properly contained)

  • It is only collected by registered waste carriers

  • All collections are covered by a valid Waste Transfer Note (see more below)

  • Records of transfers of waste are kept for at least two years

  • Waste is only taken to an authorised facility that has the necessary waste management licensing - ignorance of the disposal site is no defence if your waste is found flytipped.

Waste Transfer Notes

It is your legal responsibility as a producer of waste to obtain and keep Controlled Waste Transfer Notes for at least 2 years from date of transfer.

The Waste Regulations (England & Wales 2014) allow the use of electronic Waste Transfer Notes is the form of an invoice or email as long as it contains all the necessary information below.

  • A written description of the waste being transferred.

  • The EWC code for the waste being transferred. The EWC for waste cooking oil is: 20 01 25 (edible oil and fat).

  • An description of how the waste is contained. Eg. 200L barrel, 20L cans or 15L buckets.

  • SIC 2007 code of the waste producer.

  • A signed declaration to state that the waste hierarchy has been considered with the relevant words.

  • Identify the amount of waste being passed on, for example the number of sacks or other containers, the volume of waste or its weight.

  • List your name and identify that you are the producer of the waste.

  • List the name of the person you are passing the waste to and their status, for example a registered waste carrier, including their registration number.

  • Give the address where you passed the waste to the other person as well as the date and time that you gave him the waste.

  • Be signed by both parties and be kept for at least two years.


Cater Oils Collects & Disposes of your Waste Oil Legally 

Cater oils is a registered waste carrier and broker with the Environment Agency. We are legally allowed to collect your used cooking oil for recycling.

Before collection we will give you an annual contract and Waste Transfer Note Season Ticket, which you will need to sign. This documentation should be stored in your file for inspection by Environmental Health Officer EHO, a Council Enforcement Officer or the Environment Agency.